.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Undercover Hippie

Thursday, July 22, 2004

One more reason I started to blog

I've been thinking about blogging for a while. Everytime I think of something I'd like to say, I think "Wow, if I had a blog...." Well, here's one of those things.

Media Bias
Yeah, I know. It's been dealt with. But I just want to tell the story of how I understood media bias from a very early and highly impressionable age. I was born in South Africa (Mom was American, Dad is an Afrikaaner). I grew up in NJ. We used to get these newspapers from South Africa occassionally so my Dad could keep up on the goings on back "home."

When I was about 8 or 10 we got one where the front page had Nelson & Winnie Mandela marching down the street of some city in SA (probably Cape Town... don't really remember where) with banners and a crowd behind him. Then within a couple of days I saw the exact same picture on the front page of our local rag the Courier Post. There was one major difference. You see the banners and flags in the crowd behind him were Communist flags, complete with hammer and sickle. Only in the Courier Post is was cropped so you couldn't see them. You only saw Nelson and Winnie, smiling to their adoring fans.

I knew from that moment that the mainstream press was not to be trusted with giving us the truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home