.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Undercover Hippie

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Who's the bigot?

It looks like Missouri has joined the list of states to outlaw Gay Marriage.

The most compelling argument the proponents of gay marriage have is to play the "bigot" card. Its discriminatory to exclude same-sex couples from matrimony.

Well, I'd like to ask a simple question to those people. Is there ANY kind of marriage you would not allow? Which ones? For example, in your all-inclusion, non-bigoted world of same-sex marriage, would I be allowed to divorce my wife and marry ... say ... my 3-yr-old daughter? How about my neighbor's dog? What about if I do both of those and STAY married to my wife?

If the answer is, "Of course we wouldn't approve of that?" then you can't say I'm being discriminatory. You are too. We just disagree on where we draw the line.

If the answer is, "All of those things should be up to the individual." then you've essentially defined marriage to be whatever the anybody wants it to be. If it can mean anything, then in effect, it means nothing. There's nothing special about my commitment to my wife if it can be defined any way you want, at any time, under any circumstance.

Is defining marriage as being between a man and a woman discriminatory? You bet! When you add definition to anything (not just marriage) you are effectively excluding everything that does not fall under that definition. But, that's not a bad thing.

1 Comments:

  • You go Derek...

    I think they should come up with a new institution name... instead of marriage.. call it gaydom or fagiage for example. Then they can define it any way they want...

    By Blogger Ruthiness, at 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home