.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Undercover Hippie

Friday, August 05, 2005

Rush is ... wrong.

If Homosexuality is Not a Choice,
Then Morality Isn't At Issue

- Rush Limbaugh

Well, I never take issue with the "great one" in public, but I've got to address this. It goes to a very important dividing line within the Conservative movement. Rush is (despite what many may think) NOT a member of the "religious right." I am.

Does what is moral/immoral hinge on one's choices, and behaviors?

This is the classic dividing line between the "popular" understanding of Christian doctrine, and true Biblical Christianity. If you take any particular sin (lying, stealing, murdering) and say since I "choose" not to do it, then I have not sinned.

If I pick up a rattlesnake and it does not bite me, does that mean its not a rattlesnake? The Bible clearly explains that we are ALL sinners. Also, that if we fail in one point, we are guilty of all.

Here's the point: we are not sinners because we sin, rather we sin because we are sinners. Choice only enters into our outward appearance.

Remember that Jesus said, "Man judges the outward appearance, but God judges the heart." Some people take comfort in that. I don't. Because I know that who I am in my heart is much WORSE than the guy I let people around me see.

Rush is assuming that all sin is outward, and if a person doesn't "choose" a behavior, then it must be okay. But sin is deep in our souls. We all sin through both acts of commission, omission, AND thought.

The Psalmist prays, "May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord." The words are the external, but the meditations of the heart? They are internal. If you doubt your own sin, then just think about what YOUR heart meditates on in your unguarded moments.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home